POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Normal perturbation algorithm : Re: Normal perturbation algorithm Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:31:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Normal perturbation algorithm
From: Mark Wagner
Date: 7 Jul 2000 01:15:38
Message: <3965677a@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote in message <3964c7c1@news.povray.org>...
>  Wouldn't it be faster to calculate the normal of a (pattern) function
using
>its derived versions (d/dx, d/dy and d/dz)?

I think this is the new normal calculation method used for isosurfaces.
However, it wouldn't be very useful for patterns.  How would you calculate
the derivative of the noise3d function?  Many of the basic patterns use
this, and most of the ones that don't use a special function to calculate
the normal instead of the pyramid method.  Additionally, how would you
handle slope_maps other than the default map?  How would you handle waveform
modifiers?

Mark