POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Early stage of Al the Alien : Re: Early stage of Al the Alien Server Time
20 Jul 2024 23:35:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Early stage of Al the Alien
From: Rune
Date: 5 Jul 2000 18:12:16
Message: <3963b2c0@news.povray.org>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:
> I'm especially impressed with the fluidity of the animation.
> In my own projects, I've successfully coded ways to POSE a
> figure, but still don't have a handle on how to get graceful
> motion between my keyframes. Splines suck. How did you do it?

Sorry for not replying sooner. I hadn't noticed that there was a new reply
to this old thread.

I have coded this character from scratch to use inverse kinematics. That's a
lot of work, and I've not finished it at all yet, but I think it will pay
off when I am to animate this character eventually.

For this animation I simply used some sine functions to move the different
part of the body. Note though, that I don't have to specify any angles for
the elbows, knees, etc., but simply specify where I want the hands/feet to
be. That way the animation almost automatically becomes more fluid and
natural.

When I'm going to animate this character eventually, I plan to drop the sine
functions and use splines instead. I think this will work well with inverse
kinematics.

Hope this helps!

Greetings,

Rune
--
Updated June 12: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
3D images, include files, stereograms, tutorials,