POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Quartz Crystal (point.jpg 5k) : Re: Real Quartz Crystal 12.4kbbu Server Time
2 Oct 2024 04:22:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Real Quartz Crystal 12.4kbbu
From: Andrea Ryan
Date: 5 Jul 2000 21:55:30
Message: <3963E4D3.955CC805@global2000.net>
A quote from the official POV-Ray docs.
Brendan Ryan

Note a strange design side-effect was discovered during testing and it was too
difficult to fix. If the enclosing object uses transmit rather than filter for
transparency, then the media casts no shadows. For example:

 object{MyObject pigment{rgbt 1.0} interior{media{MyMedia}}} //no shadows
 object{MyObject pigment{rgbf 1.0} interior{media{MyMedia}}} //shadows