POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Normal perturbation algorithm : Normal perturbation algorithm Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:32:43 EDT (-0400)
  Normal perturbation algorithm
From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 5 Jul 2000 02:30:44
Message: <3962D4B0.6A1F9F14@skynet.be>
I hope this is the right place to ask that...

Can someone explain to me how the perturbated normal of a given
point of a surface is calculated ?

I think I uderstood partially, but I miss parts of the
reasoning. AFAIK, the "apparent height" of a point is determined
by the pattern value of the point (0 to 1) and the bump_size.
Now, how do you determine the "apparent" normal at that point ?
Do you have to take the "height" of adjacent points in
order to determine the slope ?  If so, how much points, and
how far ?

(i'm currently writing a POV-Ray doc in french, and I need
to uderstand this well to explain slope_map clearly)

Thanks,
Fabien.