POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Noise3d and Megapov 0.5 : Re: Noise3d and Megapov 0.5 Server Time
2 Oct 2024 08:17:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Noise3d and Megapov 0.5
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 3 Jul 2000 09:43:21
Message: <39609879@news.povray.org>
"Chris Huff" <chr### [at] maccom> wrote in message
> I didn't say it was useless, just that it was limited by the plateus. I
> ran into them several times, and either abandoned the scene or wasted
> time looking for some way to work around it.

I am awfully sorry. I never wanted to put words in your mouth.

I must say I was surprised to find my post a bit harsh when I re-read it
today. I wasn't my intention at all.

All in all, what I wanted to say is that I was a little disappointed that
the old bumps was accessible only through #version, because I thought that
it still has uses in current megapov (future pov?) versions. But as it seems
it is easy to make it work in povscript , all is well.

> Yes, you could probably make a macro to correct the blend map values,
> then all you would have to do is duplicate the end ones...or you could
> use the function pattern and reproduce the older version or both new
> versions without even touching the blend map.

Great. I suppose the corrected-map solution would be the quickest
(render-time-wise). For the function pattern, I suppose you mean wrapping an
"adapter" function around the noise/bumps.

Just for interest's sake: is it possible to re-write the old noise/bumps
function from scratch in povscript? Isn't the noise function iterative? Is
it possible to write iterative functions for the function pattern or
isosurface?

Thank you for your explanations (I _like_ the TAG team),

Povingly,

Philippe