POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : More oddities with Megapov 0.5a : Re: More oddities with Megapov 0.5a Server Time
2 Sep 2024 02:18:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More oddities with Megapov 0.5a
From: Tom Melly
Date: 30 Jun 2000 11:11:35
Message: <395cb8a7@news.povray.org>
"Marc-Hendrik Bremer" <Mar### [at] t-onlinede> wrote in message
> Well, actually it was not so much misread!
> This were my steps:
> 1. render a scene with 3 isosurfaces and a plane
> 2. move all three isos and the plane 1/10 unit up by changing the
translate
> 3. rendering the scene -> first iso is missing
> 4. (Wondering and) undo the changes by pressing ctrl-z several times,
> rendering. Isosurface is again there.
> 5. Hm, redo the changes by pressing ctrl-a several times, rendering.
> Isosurface remains there.
>
> This problem occurred now 2 times for me. As I said I can't reproduce it
> though.

Hmm, IMHO it still sounds like a problem with max_gradient. I convinced
myself the other day that my PC at work was rendering an iso very
differently than my home PC. Nope, just blindness on my part. Maybe you
undid one less or one more change than you thought?

Have you tried eval? It's interesting to run eval without a max_gradient,
use the eval output to set a gradient, then run the scene again. Eval quite
often then rises above it's first estimate. For a recent scene, I would use
the output of eval to set max_gradient, only to have the scene give me a
higher eval on the next render. I had to increase max_gradient about three
times until I reached a stage when eval didn't go up any further.