POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stargate (10124x768, 148 KB) - stargate.jpg (0/1) : Re: Stargate (10124x768, 148 KB) - stargate.jpg (1/1) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 06:24:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stargate (10124x768, 148 KB) - stargate.jpg (1/1)
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 27 Jun 2000 15:26:15
Message: <3958ffd7@news.povray.org>
"Jeff Lee" <shi### [at] gatenet> wrote in message
| "Bob Hughes" <per### [at] aolcom?subject=PoV-News:> wrote:
| >
| > A beaut of a model/scene/render.  The lights on the walls don't seem to
| > illuminate the nearest region of wall they are attached to, which might be
| > case of texture-tweaking and light fade tweaking.
|
| Yeah, I'm not exactly sure why that's happening.  When I do a test
| render with point lights rather than area_lights, they illuminate the
| walls better.

Possibly self shadowing of the light fixture, but most likely is that because
each point in the array is reduced in brightness in order to remain at the
original point source intensity.  Why that would actually dim the local area
more might have something to do with what can be seen by using multiple point
lights and using a sum total of greater than 1 to achieve the same brightness
as a single rgb 1 light source.
Just speculation, of course.

Bob