POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Win32 PVMPOV Programmers Needed!! : Re: Win32 PVMPOV Programmers Needed!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:32:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Win32 PVMPOV Programmers Needed!!
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 27 Jun 2000 11:43:16
Message: <3958cb94@news.povray.org>
In article <3958b660@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>   Of course Linux (and other free unix systems) support multiple processors
> and still there is no multithreaded povray for them.
>   PVM-pov exists no more, and even when it existed it didn't work with
> radiosity.

I think photons wouldn't work either :-(

>   Multithreading has also many other problems. It's more problematic than
> it may sound. I wrote an entry in the VFAQ about this.

For POV-Ray 3.5 we will at least have a list of all the global variables and
in which function(s) they are used.  It is surprising, there are even
globals that are used to just pass an argument from one function to another.
While about 80% of the global variables in POV-Ray could be removed in short
period of time, at least 20% would be next to impossible remove.
That is one of the reasons why there will be some kind of rewrite for
POV-Ray 4.0.

>   Another thing is that since it's not made by the povteam, this version will
> always be one step behind the official version.

One of the long planned goals surely is to offer multithreading and network
rendering, but this will surely not happen before POV-Ray 4.0 :-(

     Thorsten

* Opinions expressed are my own.