POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stargate (10124x768, 148 KB) - stargate.jpg (0/1) : Re: Stargate (10124x768, 148 KB) - stargate.jpg (0/1) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 00:17:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stargate (10124x768, 148 KB) - stargate.jpg (0/1)
From: Jeff Lee
Date: 26 Jun 2000 17:15:29
Message: <3957d2ab.6815917@news.povray.org>
ryan constantine <rco### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> was this done in pov?

Yes; my own compile for OS/2, but using the official Linux 3.1g sources.

> what did you use for textures?

It's all texture{} statements.

> have you attempted the iris or the gate effects?

It is capable of producing the rippling "water" effect, but I haven't
added in the iris or worked on the "whoosh" yet.  (All the chevrons are
independently animatable and lightable, and of course the glyph ring
turns.  It can also be set to resemble the prop from the original movie,
which was slightly different from the one on the TV series.)

> by the way, aren't you the guy that did the fabulous original enterprise
> (orbit.pov)?

Yeah, that was me, thanks for remembering it.  My Enterprise model is
currently under revision, because the blueprints I worked from weren't
entirely accurate in places, and it will soon (I hope) be joined by a
Klingon D7.

> i don't think you post very often do you?

Not really, no; I have to juggle 3D work with a whole bunch of other
hobbies.  If I can put together one really nice image that I'm happy
with every few months, I consider myself lucky.

> how long does it take you to do a project?

Depends on the scope.  In this case, the Stargate itself took about two
weeks, and the reproduction of the set took about a month and a half,
whenever I could squeeze in a couple of hours at night.

> i'd be interested to know some of your texturing methods (modelling
> isn't a problem).

Any textures in particular?  What I seem to be doing most frequently is
to create a "clean" and "dirty" version of a particular texture, and
then make a bozo composite of the two, adding turbulence and raising the
omega and lambda, then scaling the resulting texture between 2-5 times
longer in the Y direction, depending on how "streaky" I want it to look.

--
Jeff Lee         shi### [at] gatenet         http://www.gate.net/~shipbrk/