POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : feature request for Xander... : Re: feature request for Xander... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:18:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: feature request for Xander...
From: K  Lasse
Date: 26 Jun 2000 12:20:43
Message: <395782db$1@news.povray.org>
Alexander Enzmann <xan### [at] mitreorg> wrote in message
news:395### [at] mitreorg...

> I think I understand just what you want.  I have tried a couple of
> different approaches to this.  The first approach was coded, but never
> visible in a beta.  I drew a spline that passed through the origin of
> the object at each keyframe.  The second approach, which isn't really
> working uses a spline object that is directly edited.

To just be able to view the path at this point would be a great asset. Using
the spline to edit the path taken by an object's characteristic is really an
"over-and-above" feature since this can already be edited the normal way. It
sure would be more efficient, tho. Its really advantageous, also, to have a
way to show the individual frames on this spline. This shows things such as
frame spacing bias.

> Where it gets more interesting is the actual display of the spline.
> What I want to be able to do is to have the spline editable in the
> timeline/function view as well as in the main Moray editing windows.
> But what you are asking for is just one spline that could be associated
> with an object (the Translation).  There can be quite a few splines
> associated with an object (Scale, Rotate, radius, camera field of view,
> ...). ... It really only makes sense to show
> translation splines in the Moray edit windows.

Yeah, the translation characteristic is really the main thing that an
editable spline would be useful for. Thus, one per object would really be an
asset. One exception, of course, is cameras, which have "translation" for
both the position and the "look at" point. Perhaps this could somehow be
tied in to the respective buttons currently used to edit each.

BTW, have you looked at Mike Weber's Bspline plugin? I've only really
glanced it over, but it seems like a good implementation of 3D splines.
Perhaps some collaboration... ?

> But for the other
> splines/fcurves, I need my own editing screens.

As for the other characteristics, they are seldom (if ever) animated in
relation to 3D space, and therefore a linear representation such as you
currently use in the timeline/function dialog may be sufficient.

BTW, I appreciate that you are taking it slow, considering all the options
and listening to your user base. This can only result in quality.

Thanks,
-Kelly
(kla### [at] usacom)