POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : user survey - please answer : Re: user survey - please answer Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:31:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: user survey - please answer
From: Remco Poelstra
Date: 23 Jun 2000 13:59:41
Message: <3953FA6E.8611CD0@home.nl>
Mark Gordon wrote:

> OK, here are the questions:
>
> 1) Under what operating systems do you use POV-Ray? Please be specific
> as to e.g. Linux distributions, versions, and so forth.  Multiple
> answers are fine.

I'm now using Redhat 6.1 with an 2.2.12 kernel. I'm going to switch to
my own build 'distribution' (LFS: www.linuxfromscratch.org).

> 2) Do you want POV-Ray for Unix to have an official GUI front-end for
> your platform? Please indicate which one(s) if you list several
> platforms.

Do you mean a window where a can click at the options? Would be nice, as
long as I can disable it. (I don't like the way it works in povray for
windows).
And can it automatically check for a newer saved version of the current
scene and render it?

> 3) Would you want such a front-end to have a built-in editor?

No

> 4) Any preference on languages/GUI libraries on such a front end, pro or
> con? (Tcl/Tk, Perl/Tk, Python Tkinter, Java AWT, gtk+, Gnome, KDE,
> Motif/Lesstif)

gtk+ or Gnome. I persionally dislike the windows look like GUIs. Like
QT. i don't wheter the other possibillities look like windows

> 5) What editor do you use for editing .pov files?

Mcedit. The build in editor of the Midnight Commander, which can be
externally invoked.
I'm thinking about switching to emacs, because of the LISP
possibillities.

> 6) What format(s) do you prefer for documentation? (HTML, ASCII, PDF,
> ps, man, info, Word document, etc.)

HTML for the full documentation (some more clarifying images would be
nice.
A man page for a describtion of the commandline parameters.

> 7) What sort of package management do you prefer for precompiled
> binaries?

.tar.gz
.rpm or .deb gives you so less freedom about how you want to install the
software

> 8) What unofficial version(s) of POV-Ray (e.g. MegaPov, PVMPOV) do you
> use on a regular basis?

None

Remco Poelstra