POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : re: feature requests : Re: feature requests Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:27:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: feature requests
From: Alexander Enzmann
Date: 23 Jun 2000 08:15:08
Message: <3953567D.84596500@mitre.org>
Lutz,

Interestingly enough, you don't really need to do a whole lot in Moray
for a planar slice.  Duplicate the object and add CSG Intersection with
a plane (inverted on one side of course).

The hard part is clearly getting a good wireframe representation.  The
simple way is to simply clip all lines in each half against the plane
(really easy).  This will tend to leave gaps in the wireframe
representation.  The hard way is to make a mesh based CSG routine and
invoke it to build the wireframe (remember, it doesn't need to be
tremendously high fidelity - the modelling representation is just an
approximation to the final result).

WRT doing it the hard way, I have mesh based CSG in the renderer part of
the anim plugin.   [It does fail in some cases, but is better than
nothing.]  Perhaps you could use a code donation?

Xander