POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Bug Report: Heightfield & Pattern : Re: Bug Report: Heightfield & Pattern Server Time
2 Sep 2024 02:15:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug Report: Heightfield & Pattern
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 20 Jun 2000 08:29:25
Message: <394f63a5$1@news.povray.org>
Lee Brown <lee### [at] prodigynet> wrote...

> Using a height_field with the pattern modifier I have a problem when using
> "phase".  The height-field becomes very badly distorted.

Lee,

This is not a bug.  What you are seeing is what you should expect.  Please
carefully read the section on "phase" in the POV documentation.  The phase
modifier essentially "rotates" your color_map.  When rotated, the 0.0=0.0
and 1.0=1.0 end up right next to each-other, so they create a discontinuity
in the function.  That discontinuity produces a vertical drop/rise in the
height-field.

If you change your color_map to the following, then things will look more
like what you'd expect.
    color_map {
      [0 rgb 0]
      [.5 rgb 1]