POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Noise3d and Megapov 0.5 : Noise3d and Megapov 0.5 Server Time
2 Oct 2024 02:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Noise3d and Megapov 0.5
From: Jerome
Date: 20 Jun 2000 06:58:04
Message: <394F4E3B.17BA4A12@iname.com>
As you all know, Nathan fixed noise3d in megapov 0.5 to get
rid of the plateau effect. But his fix makes for radically
different scenes (unless you modify your source to
compensate). I'm suggesting another way to fix it that makes
for much less difference in existing code.

Pros:
- the results are very similar to those of the old noise3d
making for easier adaptation (in particular, any scene made
with the original should render nearly the same unless it
relied on the plateau effect).

Cons:
- it's slightly slower
- the statistical distribution is heavily distorted (who
cares?)

	Attached are 3 pics:
* noise3d isosurface rendered with megapov 0.4
* the same rendered with my modified version of megapov 0.4
* the same rendered with megapov 0.5

	What do you think?

		Jerome
--

* Doctor Jekyll had something * mailto:ber### [at] inamecom
* to Hyde...                  * http://www.enst.fr/~jberger

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'noise1.jpg' (8 KB) Download 'noise2.jpg' (7 KB) Download 'noise3.jpg' (6 KB)

Preview of image 'noise1.jpg'
noise1.jpg

Preview of image 'noise2.jpg'
noise2.jpg