POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Peace War (38 kb) : The Peace War (38 kb) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 02:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  The Peace War (38 kb)
From: David Heys
Date: 15 Jun 2000 18:20:06
Message: <39495696@news.povray.org>
After viewing Warp's Mandelbrot fractal done in POV, I thought I'd fiddle
with the code and see how well, or badly, it'd work as a density pattern for
some scattering media.

Funny how fiddling with POV can take an experiment and diverge it in a
direction you never would have thought. I call this image The Peace War,
because it reminds me of a set of stories (The Peace War, Marooned in
Realtime, and The Ungoverned) by Vernor Vinge. A central part of the stories
dealt with a force field technology that trapped those within the field and
left them, for all intents and purposes, out of time. The field generates
what looks like a large chrome sphere, and can be set for any given length
of time. All objects held within are in stasis until the field collapses.
For those so trapped, a blink of the eye can take them from one day to
another, or from one century to another, with no way of going back.

The interesting orange glow at the base of the sphere is due to the
radiosity settings.

Comments?

David

Post a reply to this message