POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : filtering of tga image map : Re: filtering of tga image map Server Time
5 Sep 2024 16:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: filtering of tga image map
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 15 Jun 2000 01:18:19
Message: <3948671b@news.povray.org>
"Bob Hughes" <per### [at] aolcom?subject=PoV-News:> wrote in message
| A non-256 color (8bit to be more precise) image can't use the index since
| there isn't any.
| filter all can filter the entire thing but then it's only being "filtered"
so
| any non white parts will still be visible.
| You could use transmit all,1 instead but of course it's going to be
completely
| gone then too.  So partial amounts of transmit would be needed to still see
| the image.

Ack!  How wrong I can be sometimes.  Forget I ever said the above about filter
all,1.
For one thing the comma causes an error, for another it never will filter or
transmit all anyhow.
I should have checked first before speaking.  The 'filter all 1' will parse
and render but won't actually do any filtering, as you had seen already.
I wasn't too clear to begin with either I think.  24 bit and other such
non-256 color images cannot be "indexed" into POV-Ray since the whole thing is
based on the idea of using from 2 to 256 entries.
So I hope that clarifies it for the new user better.  Makes more sense to read
the documentation than it does to listen to me most of the time.

Bob

| "Remco Poelstra" <rjp### [at] homenl> wrote in message
| |
| | I've an image map like:
| |
| | image_map { tga "foto.tga" filter all 1 }
| |
| | But the photo is still there. When I specify filter 1, 1, I get the
| | error: Keyword 'filter' cannot be used non color-mapped image.
| |