POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Push-Ball v1.0 example : Re: Push-Ball v1.0 example Server Time
20 Jul 2024 23:33:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Push-Ball v1.0 example
From: Rune
Date: 14 Jun 2000 15:07:00
Message: <3947d7d4@news.povray.org>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:
> A few more questions/requests:
>
> 1. Could the output file list the winner?

No, that would require a separate output file for that information.

However, the winner could be calculated anytime by both the generator and
the replayer, so there really is no need to store that data anyway.

> 2. Could either the 'contest'  .pov or the 'redisplay' .pov files actually
put
> some kind of character, word, or number on the balls?  It would a few
seconds of
> elimination in trying to figure out which ball is "yours". This could be
as
> simple as CSG with a text string.

That would be possible.

> 3.  Shouldn't the check for max velocity occur outside the INC?

It does. Some of my bots checks that they are having as much velocity as
possible, but the check for max velocity does occur in the main inc file
(not the bots).

> 4. Is it possible to see the position of the ball 0 at time increment
t-1??

I'm not sure I understand that question.

> Long term question:
> So, in 25 words or less, how far away is this from a true football game
(played
> by spheres, of course)?

Very far away. The variety of strategies you can use is way too limited. The
only strategy I have had success with is "go behind the ball and push
forward".

I'm working on a new, entirely different game, where the bots shoot missiles
at each other, and the last survivor is the winner. I think it will be
easier to play for the bot designer, and I think it will be more fun too.

Greetings,

Rune

--
Updated June 12: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
3D images, include files, stereograms, tutorials,