POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Push-Ball Match : Re: Push-Ball Match Server Time
20 Jul 2024 23:33:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Push-Ball Match
From: Rune
Date: 14 Jun 2000 14:02:57
Message: <3947c8d1@news.povray.org>
"Bill DeWitt" wrote:
> "Rune" wrote :
> > You could also try to download the Push-Ball package from
> > povray.binaries.scene-files, and have a look at it yourself :-)
>
> I assume that I will not be able to follow it. But I was under
> the impression that each person wrote an .inc that guided the
> actions of their ball.

For their bot, yes.

> Can you write one that has your ball zoom in from the side and
> just smack the ball instead of pushing it?

With the right settings for the game, that is possible.

However, I haven't had any success with this strategy. The problem is that
the ball is influenced by two forces (when there is two players). You
pushing (or smacking), and the opponent pushing (or smacking). The
opponent's force goes right towards your goal. So if *your* force goes
anywhere else but right towards his goal, the average of the forces will
point towards *your* half of the edge of the game field, and the opponent
will eventually win.

That's why I think the Push-Ball game is rather limited. I don't think it
gives room for trying out so many different strategies.

--
Updated June 12: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
3D images, include files, stereograms, tutorials,