POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Realistic radiosity (30k) : Re: Realistic radiosity (30k) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 04:22:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Realistic radiosity (30k)
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 13 Jun 2000 00:48:08
Message: <3945bd08$1@news.povray.org>
Peter Popov <pet### [at] usanet> wrote...

> I wouldn't question your physics books because mine read the same
> <grin>. It escaped me that realistic attenuation is only suppoted for
> object interior. But then, isn't light fading unrealistic in this
> case? Can you try placing the whole scene in a transparent object and
> using realistic attenuation?

Actually, the equation that POV uses for light attenuation is a good
approximation.  Interior attenuation, however, is simulating a totally
different phenomenon, and therefore _should_ be using a totally different
equation.  However, in the official POV-Ray, it uses the same equation.  The
fade_power 1000 "hack" just tells POV to use a different equation to produce
more realistic results. That equation, though, would not work for simulating
light attenuation caused by the energy spreading out over a larger area as
distance increases.

-Nathan