POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Thanks and more Question! :) : Re: Thanks and more Question! :) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 16:21:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thanks and more Question! :)
From: Robert Chaffe
Date: 10 Jun 2000 22:30:43
Message: <3942f9d3$1@news.povray.org>
>I'd like to thank everyone for their help and concern!  I'd also like to
thank those of you who pointed out >the no-no's of newsgroups! :)  So onto
the question.

>What exactly is anti-aliasing and what does it do for you rendered scene?
>
>Any and all help would be appreciated!
>
>Sincerely,
>Ed

Use plain text instead of HTML in future postings, please.

As for anti-aliasing, this is copied directly from the POV-Ray help:
----------
The ray-tracing process is in effect a discrete, digital sampling of the
image with typically one sample per pixel. Such sampling can introduce a
variety of errors. This includes a jagged, stair-step appearance in sloping

interference and lost detail or missing objects, which are so small they
reside between adjacent pixels. The effect that is responsible for those
errors is called aliasing.

Anti-aliasing is any technique used to help eliminate such errors or to
reduce the negative impact they have on the image. In general, anti-aliasing
makes the ray-traced image look smoother. The Antialias=on option or +A
switch turns on POV-Ray's anti-aliasing system.

Hint:  The help file is full of interesting stuff like this!

rc