POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : A beginner's first question! : Re: A beginner's first question! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:23:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A beginner's first question!
From: Simon Lemieux
Date: 10 Jun 2000 00:25:22
Message: <3941C396.26BD39F3@yahoo.com>
> First off I'd like to say hello to everybody.  Now for the questions....
>
> 1.  Is POV-Raytracer like C++ and Visual Basic in regards to it having it's
> "own" programming language?
>
> 2.  If so how can I learn to "program" POV?
>      ( I can't find any literature on the language itself)
>
>   I created a wireframe object using sPatch and previewed it with sPatch's
> OpenGL preview renderer.  It looked great!  Then I exported it into .pov!  I
> then rendered it with POV and it looked horrible.  The OpenGL render was
> smooth and was appealing to the eye, but in POV it looked like it was
> rendered in 2 bit!!!  really blocky like I had a cheap video card.  The
> OpenGL render looked really smooth and professional.  I don't want to give
> up on POV just yet because I've seen what others have done with POV and I
> was very impressed!!!  Please help!!! Also if someone decides to help but
> you need more than a posting will allow you could email me if it isn't too
> much trouble!!  My email address is fre### [at] fusenet!!  Any and all
> help would greatly be appreciated!!

Before you get disapointed about POV-Ray, you should browse the IRTC preview
cdrom at:
http://www.povray.org/preview/irtc-cd3/stills/index.htm

Then you can take a look at my brief webpage at:
http://connect.to/666Mhz

After having done so, you will soon realize that POV-Ray is way beyond what
OpenGL can do...  Yet, POV-Ray is very slow, but like an artist it takes its
time for a marvelous masterpiece of art!

You can browse the povray.org website for Manual, FAQs, source code, etc...

I'm sure you will like what POV-Ray can offer you, but keep in mind that
programing in OpenGL is very different than programming in POV-Ray...

Hope this helps,
	Simon Lemieux