POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cylinder Hf ~ 2 images: 155kb, 94kb : Re: Cylinder Hf ~ 2 images: 155kb, 94kb Server Time
2 Oct 2024 04:25:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cylinder Hf ~ 2 images: 155kb, 94kb
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 9 Jun 2000 19:29:45
Message: <39417DE9.7D2685F3@gmx.de>
SamuelT wrote:

> I've still been playing with eval_pigment. I've made code that takes a
> pigment and makes sort of a heightfield from it using cylinders and
> spheres. The color at each vertex is blended with the next, achieving
> color-interpolation.

That sounds like a good idea, at least for noisy, low resolution images

> The first image is the Van Gogh painting again, with diffuse 0 and
> ambient 1 to show off the color-interpolation.
> The second image is the Mona Lisa. She has 76,800 objects in her. Parse
> took 54 seconds and the trace took 2 minutes, 37 seconds with AA. Peak
> memory was 113158861 bytes.

I like the your Mona Lisa, the face looks a bit messy.  perhaps it would
help making it even more detailed :)

I thought about the comparison with heightfield you mentioned and had
the idea, that hexagonal basalt-structures you can see in vulcanic
regions could easily be modelled using this technique, maybe I will try
that sometime...

> I might post a macro to povray.text.scenes-files, although I think
> something like this has been done before... I'm not sure.

Making a macro sounds like a good idea, I am looking foreward to see it.

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>