POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : PP focal blur test : Re: PP focal blur test Server Time
2 Oct 2024 04:21:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PP focal blur test
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 8 Jun 2000 16:11:35
Message: <393ffdf7@news.povray.org>
"Outback" <out### [at] huntelnet> wrote in message
| > The mirror, at least, I think is correct. In real life it wouldn't be
| > blurred. When the light hits the mirror it will still be sharp, and since
| > the mirror itself is in focus then that light will make it to the camera
| in
| > focus; I think.
| *******
|    Think again. hehe :)     You had me going there, Ed . . . didn't think
| that
| was correct but had to get out the digital camera and see.  Not so . . .
| that
| image in the mirror is farther away than the mirror surface.  ie the
| distance
| from the eye (camera) to the mirror plus the distance from the mirror to the
| object. Those light rays haven't yet been gathered by the lens and focused
| on the "film".  Give it a try to prove it - I had to.
|    So, the images in the mirror should also be out of focus.  TS

Yeah, but the water drops on a branch sort of thing does focus the distant
surroundings doesn't it?  I should know that with all the pictures I've taken.
Not about to go searching them to find an example though.  Then again it may
be that the droplets only appear to be in focus considering the lensing effect
they have so there is probably a very different out-of-focus range for them.

Bob