POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : PP focal blur test : Re: PP focal blur test Server Time
2 Oct 2024 04:20:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PP focal blur test
From: Ed Kaiser
Date: 8 Jun 2000 11:42:55
Message: <393fbeff@news.povray.org>
> As you can see, focal blur may work fine in some scenes, but if you use
> large reflecting or refracting surfaces, you get incorrect results. In
such
> cases it's probably better to use the more correct original focal blur
> feature, even though it's much slower.

The mirror, at least, I think is correct. In real life it wouldn't be
blurred. When the light hits the mirror it will still be sharp, and since
the mirror itself is in focus then that light will make it to the camera in
focus; I think. The glass is more complicated, In this case I think it
should be blurred, but in other cases it could be in focus, like in that
famous closeup photo of  a branch that has drops of dew in which you can see
background flowers clearly, while in the rest of the picture they're
blurred. Has anyone else seen that? Anyway, I hope that made sense.

Regards