POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : isosurfaced islands and shoreline problem [~44KB Jpg] : isosurfaced islands and shoreline problem [~44KB Jpg] Server Time
2 Oct 2024 04:23:44 EDT (-0400)
  isosurfaced islands and shoreline problem [~44KB Jpg]
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 6 Jun 2000 23:59:03
Message: <393dc887@news.povray.org>
Not really any shoreline intended in the first place, just so happens there is
one anyway.  It's only a thin line running along the edge where islands and
water meet.  The water is a box extending below the island isosurface extent.
The upper surface (being the water) is very slightly above 0*y.  Only a normal
using a noise3d 'function' is used for the water, not actual displacement.
But that isn't the problem.  Not caused by refraction either, I removed both
finish and normal leaving only pigment.  Also, fog was commented out to check
that.  Seems to be nothing wrong except a peculiarity going on with the island
isosurface.  Which btw this scene file started out as the mtn&lake.pov demo
for MegaPov and I didn't see anything wrong with it before I changed several
parts of the equation.  'max_trace_level 10' didn't make any difference, along
with some haphazard guesses for threshold, sign, max_gradient, etc.
If anyone has encountered this kind of thing and/or has any ideas for a fix I
welcome your thoughts.

P.S.  the clouds are a isosurface too but ignore them, not exactly turning out
like I planned.  Forgot to mention that if the pigment color of the water is
increased through higher ambient, diffuse I believe it diminishes the dark
bordering line except at one point I couldn't seem to do that either.

Bob
--
omniVerse http://users.aol.com/persistenceofv/all.htm

Post a reply to this message