POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Looking for Large scene files : Re: Looking for Large scene files Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:29:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Looking for Large scene files
From: A  Jans-Beken
Date: 8 Jun 2000 15:37:50
Message: <393ED669.DED59684@wxs.nl>
David Fontaine wrote:

> Spiralforest in p.b.s-f
>
> Render time: 01:31:51   Peak memory used: 1,119,621,049 bytes
> on my 450 PIII with Winblows 98
>
> --
> David Fontaine     <dav### [at] faricynet>     ICQ 55354965
> Please visit my website: http://www.faricy.net/~davidf/

I had to create a scene file to demonstrate the capabilities of a large
format full color ink-jet printer. This may be the tip for you: Create
some of your pictures at full printer resolution (300 dpi or so). If you
have a good printer the result will be much better than simply enlarging
a 1024 x 768 picture.

I created a poster from a file that came with the first POV-CDROM (POV
V1.0) but I used POV V3.0 for the rendering. The file name"big_e.pov" -
a picture of star trek ship enterprise, using POV primitives. The size
of the poster is 1 meter (3 feet ?) wide. Aspect ratio was 16:9 which
gives very professional results. The resulution was (if I remember
correctly) 6000 x 3375.
It took a Pentium Pro 200Mhz 7 days and a couple of hours to create the
file (which was 80 Mb or so). To my suprise, after converting it to JPG
it was only 2.5 MB.

Later I enhanced the drawing by adding a realistic planet in the
background and adding stars and cosmic nebulae. However I never
recreated the file on that huge scale (because I was assigned to another
project).

If you are interested I can send you the scene-file (and even the
jpg-file).
Just email me.