POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : my try at a planet : Re: my try at a planet Server Time
2 Oct 2024 04:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: my try at a planet
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 6 Jun 2000 19:26:59
Message: <393D7AF8.91D97BD9@peak.edu.ee>
Some comments:
I don't think the planet's cloud cover should look 3D or voluminous from this
distance, and certainly the atmosphere should be a lot thinner. If the clouds
are water vapour, they should have a much higher albedo (i.e. be brighter).
Also, the atmosphere probably shoudn't glow on the night side, and I'd say the
whole hemisphere should be darker.
IIRC the rotation of a planet tends to create certain prevailing latitudinal
winds. So maybe create some semi-regular banding patterns of cloud cover, for
example around the equator.
You mention you tried to animate the clouds. Unless you intend to squeeze a
significant time span into the clip, is it really worth the trouble? If the
winds were strong enough to cause cloud movement noticeable from space, I doubt
the planet would be all that green ;)

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee