POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : my try at a planet : my try at a planet Server Time
2 Oct 2024 04:23:00 EDT (-0400)
  my try at a planet
From: ryan constantine
Date: 6 Jun 2000 16:14:36
Message: <393D5C78.175E3973@yahoo.com>
to be used with my xwing when it is done.  i needed a break from the
xwing, so i thought i'd try this.  the planet surface is based on gilles
tran's sphereHF.  the idea for how a planet should look started with
jeff lee's orbit, but rapidly turned into something else.  if any of you
have done planets, i'd love to know how you did it.  i'm thinking of
changing the clouds to media.  also, i think the clouds need to be more
sparse (sp?) but i suppose an alien planet could have that much cloud
cover, so maybe i should leave it.  i tried some animations with only
marginal success.  the cloud layers moved at different speeds, but i
couldn't get black hole warps to do what i wanted.  and looking at the
weather report on the news last night, i didn't have the occasional
opposition of weather systems like in real life (ie north-south and
east-west system collisions and systems where the edges meet).  i also
thought that global cloud cover would be thick in some areas and thin in
others, but then i noticed my planet is pretty green, so maybe good,
even coverage is okay.  i also thought that if i use this for an xwing
animation, that in the time it takes for a ship to fly by, the weather
would not have changed noticably from space anyway and so a still image
is fine.  the land was made in wilbur like a year ago and is named Tel
Elnan.  it was intended to be the world for an AD&D campaign.  i was
starting to generate art for it and ran across pov.  pov has had me in
its clutches since and AD&D has moved to the way back burner.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'spherehfb.jpg' (117 KB)

Preview of image 'spherehfb.jpg'