POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available. : Re: Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:23:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available.
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 5 Jun 2000 09:00:09
Message: <393BA34A.3775D07B@my-dejanews.com>
Nathan Kopp wrote:

> For POV scenes, we don't use GIF animation and we really don't care if web
> browsers provide great support or not.  All I care about is if I can easily
> and freely convert the image I wish to use into a format that POV will read
> without losing any quality or functionality.  And that is possible with
> gif2png, as well as with paint programs such as Paint Shop Pro and/or
> Photoshop.
>
> -Nathan

No argument whatsoever on the legal necessity of removing GIF support.

I, too, support the general philosophy of groups like burnallgifs.org.
However, there is one thing that GIFs are marvelous for: animation! See, if you
haven't already:

http://www.geocities.com/pterandon/back.html

How could I do this w/o GIF's?