POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Aliasing (77 KB GIF) : Re: Aliasing (77 KB GIF) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 06:26:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Aliasing (77 KB GIF)
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 3 Jun 2000 21:15:09
Message: <3939ad9d@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message

| Bob Hughes wrote:
| >
| > I was doing one of these couple years ago in POV-Ray,
|
| Did you use the same technique ?

Overlapping 'radial' patterns of black lines rotated a bit differently over a
background plane of 'bozo' or other patterns.  Of course variations were
tried, like bright lines, etc. later on when the subject came up again.
I'd say your technique makes for a more true moire pattern.

| > and I've seen some other
| > people did so too when the subject came up on AOL.  There were these
"zonk"
| > posters you could buy back in the 70's which were the same thing except on
| > paper instead.  Much less vivid than this one here of course.
|
| I don't think I've seen those posters.
|
| Stupid question but what is "zonk" ?
| (I was too young in the 70's :)

I would define it as what the sound might be if you heard one when first
seeing it, but I don't really know the origin.  Ever seen Star Trek (TV) where
they had a display near Spock's control panel which was a couple sets of
radial lines rotated one over the other.  Same thing.  Guess they had that
effect in the '60s too.

| > Must be a common side effect of dealing with AA, seems people will tend
| > exploit the weaknesses of something by turning it into a better thing.
|
| This time I just stumbled into these patterns.
| And then I tried to make them as strong as
| possible.
|
| I wonder if it's possible to make them even
| stronger ?

Not sure how that would be, yours was quite bold already.

Bob