POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Aliasing (77 KB GIF) : Re: Aliasing (77 KB GIF) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 06:27:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Aliasing (77 KB GIF)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 3 Jun 2000 18:30:27
Message: <3939870F.6145F915@hotmail.com>
Peter Popov wrote:

> I have heard of moire pattern analysis being used in vibrational
> dynamics but can't say anything for sure.

Strange. If so, I wonder how it is applied.

> 17 years ago I was probably spending most of my days sitting on my
> bottom, building castles from wooden blocks.

:-)

> >Back then I did some experimenting with Lissajous
> >curves in 2D, and sometimes when plotting those,
> >nice Moire patterns appeared.
>
> Yes, Lissajous... these were the other major fun factor back then. Of
> course I did not know what sine and cosine meant but at least I could
> tweak and tweak and tweak :)

My problem was that I didn't know back then that it
was called Lissajous curves.

I knew the meaning of cosine and sine.
But I too had to do a lot of tweaking
to get the nice patterns !

> What is a moire pattern? The overlapping of two similar grids. Make a
> grid (for example, create a pattern and fill the canvas with it),
> distort it a little bit and mix it with the original. In order to make
> the pattern cyclic, the distortion should be cyclic as well. The wave
> distortion works well, just make sure that the wavelenghts are
> divisible of the image dimensions and the edge pixels wrap around. The
> mixing can be done as 'multiply', 'hard light' or virtually any other
> mixing type. It gets even better if this is done for the r, g and b
> channels separately.

I see. Thank you for explaining !

I have access to Photoshop, but I haven't
worked much with it yet.

Tor Olav
--
mailto:tor### [at] hotmailcom