POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available. : Re: Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:29:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available.
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 2 Jun 2000 09:35:22
Message: <3937b81a$1@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson <gre### [at] my-dejanewscom> wrote...
> And the people say:
> PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG
>
> Q: Can someone direct me to images on the web which are:
> a) still PNG?
> b) PNG animations, if such a thing exists?

Not that either of these matter in relation to POV....  ;-)

Really, what does GIF support bring to POV?
1) the ability to use images without conversion.  Well... I guess if you
want to use a stock GIF image now you'll have to convert it to something
else.  Oh, well.  On the positive side, with POV 3.5 you'll be able to use
JPG files directly.
2) palette support.  PNG provides this support.
3) compression.  PNG provides compression ratios very similar to (usually a
bit better than) GIF.

For POV scenes, we don't use GIF animation and we really don't care if web
browsers provide great support or not.  All I care about is if I can easily
and freely convert the image I wish to use into a format that POV will read
without losing any quality or functionality.  And that is possible with
gif2png, as well as with paint programs such as Paint Shop Pro and/or
Photoshop.

-Nathan