POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : REALLY complex images for inspiration ... : Re: REALLY complex images for inspiration ... Server Time
2 Oct 2024 06:27:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: REALLY complex images for inspiration ...
From: Dennis Clarke
Date: 2 Jun 2000 10:39:00
Message: <3937C5C5.5CCB7870@interlog.com>
> Brendan Orr wrote:
>
> The thing to remember is that they are probably mixing actual footage(w/
> pyrotechnics and whatnot) with CG.  An example would be in Dinosaurs with
> the background bieng actual and the dinosaur and other objects being
> digital.
>
> If you were to recreate the world(with tree include files that have many
> branches, radiosity, media, plus any isosurface) it would take a tremendous
> amount of time to parse and render.  I'm talking about scenes that would
> probably require a better computer (at least better that my worthless
> Compaq).  Such computers as those nice $20,000 SGI's (a little out of my
> price range)
>
> [SGI 550 Workstation]
>

>             Brendan Orr

The problem on my end is not the horsepower ( see image of my lab below ) but
the talent.  I have made a model of a roman column, or at least what I think
is a roman column.  I think that I rather start with the rock formation and
use terragen for the background.  What bothers me about terragen is that
animation is a real problem.  The opening sequence for MI2 uses a low level
fly-by of these rock walls.  I keep thinking that it would be fun to render an
animation that looks like the GENESIS sequence from STAR TREK II The Wrath of
Khan.

In any case I have been playing with blob animations but seem to have grown
tired of them ...

see http://www.interlog.com/~dclarke/povray/animate/fluid.mov
    http://www.interlog.com/~dclarke/povray/animate/glob.mov
    http://www.interlog.com/~dclarke/povray/povray.html  <-- old and crusty

Attachments:
Download 'roman.jpg' (48 KB) Download 'lab_101.gif' (364 KB)

Preview of image 'roman.jpg'
roman.jpg

Preview of image 'lab_101.gif'
lab_101.gif