POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available. : Re: Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available. Server Time
29 Jun 2024 06:23:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available.
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 2 Jun 2000 06:05:08
Message: <393786d4@news.povray.org>
"Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message news:3937753c@news.povray.org...
| In povray.general Nathan Kopp <Nat### [at] koppcom> wrote:
| : * removed GIF support (potential legal issues regarding the Unisys patent)
|
|   I personally don't mind this.
|   Actually that patenting nonsense is so irritating that this kind of
| "boycot" feels only good.
|   I will not miss gif support. Most programs nowadays support png, which is
| better in every way (and AFAIK compresses better than gif).

Only annoyance to me would be the batch converting and then changing every
gif-containing scene file I have.  No small thing, but then if it can't be
helped I can muddle through okay.
I also have to mention that someone I know of was using 16-bit Gif in POV-Ray
but I never have so I don't understand it's format.  Was from a Fractint
output I believe, well actually I have no idea anymore.
Funny thing, I just looked at the Fractint home page and came across this
there:
http://burnallgifs.org/  Apparently all about this stuff being talked of.

IrfanView does great: http://stud1.tuwien.ac.at/~e9227474/english.htm