POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Assumed Gamma : Re: Assumed Gamma Server Time
5 Sep 2024 16:17:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Assumed Gamma
From: The "D"
Date: 31 May 2000 22:56:39
Message: <3935d0e7@news.povray.org>
Bob Hughes <per### [at] aolcom?subject=PoV-News:> wrote in message
> Soooo, you are saying you have adjusted the monitor already... not the
assumed_gamma
> alone?  Sounds like you have something very much like my old DELL
486SX33 (or was it
> 33SX486... no matter).
> That thing was dark when I turned the brightness up full, minus a
fraction to prevent
> distortion.  Contrast too, I could never get a good screen.

Actually both contrast and brighness are all the way up (could be why my
monitor is dying ;) and there's no bluring

> Once I knew about it, just as you have found, all I did was to try and
render everything
> darker.  Once I had a new computer with monitor I saw washed out
images galore of all my
> previous ray traces.  Awful.
> The thing you'll be having trouble with is to see things good AND for
others to see them
> well also.  Can't be done unless you keep switching things around.
> Think you're going to have to guesstimate about it.  Simply reason the
renders to need
> darkening and more contrast.  In POV terminology, less ambience and
more gamma (meaning
> in POV, more).  The Povray.ini (master INI) file can be set to have a
starting point for
> gamma as well.  Display_Gamma=2.2 for PCs or 1.0 for Macs for
example (no command-line
> equivalent).  As to what exactly will be the right setup would require
you view the
> renderings with another monitor for comparison probably.
> Don't know what else I can say.  Perhaps people here have more to say
(and know).

Well it actually seems to be coming out in the wash since I forgot to
mention that the assumed_gamma value is 1.85 with a light source set at
1.5
times the intensity of "white" light. even at 1.85 with a regular white
light source the scene is too dark.