POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POV-Ray Logo : Re: POV-Ray Logo Server Time
2 Oct 2024 06:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Logo
From: Rune
Date: 31 May 2000 20:03:35
Message: <3935a857@news.povray.org>
"Bill DeWitt" wrote:
> "Rune" wrote :
> > Just that. Try to post the image in two different
> > resolutions so we can see if we understand each
> > other right.
>
> Well, for the Black and White required image, I
> would probably do it in one size that has a particular
> line width.

The submission formats have not yet been decided.
More than one black and white version may be required,
such as one large and one icon-size version.

> Since the BW is an arbitrary criteria and every image
> will be of only a certain information depth, there
> is no reason to make this particular image conform to
> standards that other, non-rendered images would not
> have to follow.
>
> IOW, when I submit it for the competition, it will be
> a flat image like all the rest, what would line size
> adaptability have to do with anything?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, and we may just be misunderstanding each
other, so I'll  try to explain my own point a little better:

Say you have a logo that consists of some black lines on a white background.
If you draw/render the logo in 32x32 pixels and all the lines are 3 pixels
wide, then the lines seem to be rather thick. If you draw/render the same
logo in 320x320 pixels and the lines are *still* 3 pixels wide, then the
lines seems very *thin*, and it gives the logo a completely other "feel". I
don't think that is good. The logo should look the same way no matter what
resolution it is viewed in.

What I think is, that the size (thickness) of the lines should follow the
size of the rest of the image. You could say that the thickness of the lines
are a part of the logo, and should thus always be the same relative to the
size of the logo. So if you make the image 10 times bigger, then the lines
should be 10 times thicker too. I think it should be that way no matter if
the logo is made in POV-Ray or not.

Greetings,

Rune

---
Updated April 25: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
Containing 3D images, stereograms, tutorials,