POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Brilliant diamond, ~12kb : Re: Brilliant diamond, ~12kb Server Time
2 Oct 2024 06:23:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brilliant diamond, ~12kb
From: Simen Kvaal
Date: 31 May 2000 02:25:28
Message: <3934b058@news.povray.org>
>As far as I remember the diamond facet angles of a
>round brilliant ("ideal cut") diamond are chosen so
>that light that enters the diamond through the crown
>(the upper facets) are reflected back through the crown.

Yup. Actually quite annoying when one tries to use photons.. :) OTOH, it
shows (or suggests) that photons actually _work_ in megapov.

But even though light has 'difficulties' (:) passing from the inside to the
outside, is can easily pass from the outside of the 'walls' and into the
brilliant. (For example if the light comes in at a perpendicular angle.) But
what happens to the light then, is much more difficult. I suggest trying to
use media that scatters the light from the brilliant to see where it goes.

Simen.