POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crown of diamond (50KB) : Re: Crown of diamond [150kb] Server Time
2 Oct 2024 12:23:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crown of diamond [150kb]
From: Børge Berg-Olsen
Date: 30 May 2000 16:06:44
Message: <39341E56.33456085@dod.no>
Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:

> > I does not look like it is an ideal cut. It seems like there is a "hole"
> > in the culet of the diamond. This hole should not be there.
>
> My understanding is that the small facet at the
> bottom of the diamond is called the culet.

Yes, you're right. I didn't study the drawings and descriptions closely
enough.

> I now think that I made the culet a little too big.

I does look like it is a little bigger than it is supposed to be, yes.
Also, a brilliant cut diamond is supposed to have 58 facets, and not 74
facets as in your diamond?

> Thank you for rendering it with photons.

Your welcome, I've traced a new version with radiosity and a little
different settings.

> Now I'm sure that I like Photons very much !
> I especially like the "fire" that appears
> within the diamonds in your rendering.

The fire is caused by a dispersion setting of 0.75 in the interior
statement.

> I'm curious about how the code looks now.
> Could you please post the code with your
> modifications for Photons ?

But of course.

> Maybe it would then be wise to lower the
> reflection value for the blue "ground"
> plane so that the reflected diamond image
> does not destroy the caustics.

There are some caustics visible with the current settings. Have a look
at the attached image.

  +47 90 62 71 78          DoD#2101, DoDRT#017, NIC#015, PJ#006, OGM#007
  azo### [at] dodno, Ducati M600              Ubesudlet: Aldri eid en J&%#PS.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'crown_of_diamond_smooth_large.png' (146 KB)

Preview of image 'crown_of_diamond_smooth_large.png'
crown_of_diamond_smooth_large.png