POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crown of diamond (50KB) : Re: Crown of diamond (50KB) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 12:25:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crown of diamond (50KB)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 29 May 2000 22:44:18
Message: <39332047.BFE121B2@hotmail.com>

> I does not look like it is an ideal cut. It seems like there is a "hole"
> in the culet of the diamond. This hole should not be there.

My understanding is that the small facet at the
bottom of the diamond is called the culet.

There seems to be many opinions about what is the
best cut for a brilliant diamond.

I now think that I made the culet a little too big.

To make the culet facet smaller one would have to
increase the 8.2 value a bit in the plane { -y, 8.2 }
statement in the Brilliant declaration.

To remove the culet facet, just delete this plane
statement.

If the culet is made smaller or removed, then the
-8.3 value in the bounded_by statement in should
be lowered (more negative).

When I made this diamond shape, I spent much time
searching the internet for information about the
geometry of diamonds.

I found most of the data I needed, but there were
some data I could not find back then.

Therefore I'm not yet sure if all the facets are
"right".

> See attached
> image. I played with photons and dispersionsettings until I was happy.
>
> What do you think?

Thank you for rendering it with photons.

Now I'm sure that I like Photons very much !
I especially like the "fire" that appears
within the diamonds in your rendering.

I'm curious about how the code looks now.
Could you please post the code with your
modifications for Photons ?

I read that Sigmund suggests placing the
diamond closer to the floor to see the
Photons.

Maybe it would then be wise to lower the
reflection value for the blue "ground"
plane so that the reflected diamond image
does not destroy the caustics.

> Uhm, I'm not sure if I should tell you this, but my PIII 650 Mhz took 24
> minutes to render ed this image...

No, no, no, you shouldn't have told me that !

Tor Olav
--
mailto:tor### [at] hotmailcom
http://www.crosswinds.net/~tok/tokrays.html