POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tileable gear mess : Re: Tileable gear mess Server Time
2 Oct 2024 06:28:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tileable gear mess
From: Francois Dispot
Date: 29 May 2000 15:37:37
Message: <3932C700.A43AD2B5@club-internet.fr>
Peter Popov wrote:

> Way cool! I bet you have made sure that all gears can turn (i.e.
> there's an even number of gears between any two gears)

I would certainly had cared about this if it had been physically
possible, but unfortunately it isn't.
It might be possible to make a dirty hack using "deep" gears to hide the
speed issues, but anyway it would be necessary to make a lot of images
to compose the anim, according to the least common multiple of the
numbers of teeth which are all, of course, random. Multiply this by 2h15
on a dual pII/450 using pvmpov (on a 48 gears basis). Doing this with a
small number of gears as Bill suggests would probably show these
problems more than with many gears.

I don't say it's impossible, and would be interested to see such
results. I will release the proggie+include kit soon.

Bye!

--