POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Re: Stochastic Radiosity Patch for PoV 3.1g : Re: Stochastic Radiosity Patch for PoV 3.1g Server Time
2 Sep 2024 04:16:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stochastic Radiosity Patch for PoV 3.1g
From: Warp
Date: 29 May 2000 10:13:24
Message: <39327b04@news.povray.org>
Stephane Marty <alb### [at] wanadoofr> wrote:
: Don't you think there's a bit difference of realism, especially for the
: yellow box ?

  I can compare the two images very well by pressing alt+left (back) and
alt+right (forward) successively in Netscape. It changes between the images
very quickly making it very easy to see the differences in the images.

  I'm sorry but I can't see _any_ difference in the yellow box, no matter
how carefully I look.
  Well, in the right face, near the floor, I can see a couple of blotchy
spots which are missing in the megapov image. I can't say that these
blotchy spots are very realistic. They are probably caused by the low
sampling amount (300 if I remember right?).

  Instead, there's a big difference in the white wall. In the megapov version
it's quite well lit, with a reddish tint at the left side and a blueish tint
at the right side. Looks quite good to me.
  However, in the second image created by your patch this wall is pretty dark
and there's no visible color bleeding from the colored side walls.
  I have to say that I like more the megapov version of this wall. It just
looks better, and in my opinion more realistic.
  I think I know what's the problem: What's the recursion level of your
algorithm?

  I would like to see bigger versions of these images. For example 640x480.
And antialiased.

: However, the first rendering was twice as fast as the second.

  Well, this is another advantage of the megapov version. I suppose that if
you had used antialiasing the speed difference might have been even bigger.