POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Assumed Gamma : Re: Assumed Gamma Server Time
5 Sep 2024 16:20:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Assumed Gamma
From: The "D"
Date: 29 May 2000 01:13:22
Message: <3931fc72@news.povray.org>
Kari Kivisalo <kar### [at] kivisalonet> wrote in message
> assumed_gamma and Display_Gamma in master povray.ini work together
> to produce consistent results when the file is rendered in
> different systems. It does not help correct color communication
> in image files between systems.
>
> The image data is gamma corrected by Display_Gamma/assumed_gamma.
> If there is no assumed_gamma image data is not touched. In new
> files assumed_gamma should always be 1.0 if it is used at all
> because it's there to match old scene files with Display_Gamma.
> You would set assumed_gamma the old display's gamma. This way
> the "gamma correction" that was built in the old scene file
> cancels out when POV applies the new correction.

Ok this is basicly what the manual said about it (which I don't
completely understand). I asked mainly to see if assumed_gamma affected
the gamma if the resulting image as well as the image that is displayed
(in my case via the win32 pov engine with out any work needed on my
part) by the +D option. My moniter is old a decripit and it requires a
gamma correction of 1.85- (according to terragen's gamma adjuster which
seems so far to be accurate). Is there a way to adjust the gamma for my
monitor with out making the image too bright on newer/better monitors.
I'm making a web logo so this particular scene (and other various web
graphics I happen to make) so the scene isn't likely to be re-rendered
by anyone else.

> Use http://www.povray.org/binaries/gamma.gif to find the correct
> Display_Gamma.
>
> Use http://hammer.prohosting.com/~kkivisal/adjust.gif to correctly
> adjust monitor brightness and contrast.
>

> There is a proposed standard for RGB images that is backwards
compatible
> ,excellent for Internet and enables other people see your work of art
> the way you intented.

And just when will the proposal be finaized and by whom? That will be a
great thing when it's done (hope some one like iso, w3c, or ansi does it
they've got the most experience)

--
-The Developer
    "Hope is the last to die.......unlike the ICQ flower