POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fantasy Map again (92,4 kbbu) : Re: Fantasy Map again (92,4 kbbu) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 06:23:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fantasy Map again (92,4 kbbu)
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 28 May 2000 02:06:58
Message: <3930b782@news.povray.org>
"Marc-Hendrik Bremer" <Mar### [at] t-onlinede> wrote in message
| Well, you may have enough from this scene, but I could not resist to model a
| dagger an throw it in it.

Not me.  I still like it.

| - The candle has this half-circle on the wax, right beyond the upper edge.
| First I thought it would be an CSG-Problem or maybe the container of the
| flame-media. Now I think its the phong of the hotwax Bob suggested  - but
| produces a shadowless light_source a phong? Or does it come from the
| area_light "in" the flame? How much stretches such an area_light? One unit?
| And if so, how can I control that (scale, using y/2 as vector)?

Guessing it might be filtering in the pigment and so this could be a sphere cutaway
showing up if you did a CSG difference to remove the upper part of the candle stick. ?
maybe ?
Hmmm, and if neither filtered candle pigment nor a CSG difference exist very likely
it's
a problem with the flame media container, as you suspected before.  It isn't a
highlighting problem anyhow.  Since you obviously use two media in this scene it could
be that they are not mixing well.  Something Chris Huff had told me about my tornado
renders.  Other things to watch out for is mixing fog with transparent objects, media
or
otherwise, since that can cause visible object that should be invisible.  Anyway, try
raising the 'samples' for the media(s) and so a selective region render on just that
part of this scene for a quicker check.
 area_light just uses a distance vector, or size, same (or much the same) as box does.

| - The Gem in the dagger is ruby glass from the glass.inc filled with
| emitting media. There is a dimmer part at the bottom end. It is probably due
| to csg with one of the other elements of the union, or of the blade, which
| is also unioned with the handle. Maybe merge would help, but how does Pov
| determine, which texture to use "in the deep", when an hollow object is
| unioned or merged with a non-hollow object? Do I have to cut a hole in the
| union before I can fill that with another hollow or somewhat transparent
| object? Or do I miss something obvious?

Best thing to do is use the object you are embedding as a CSG difference first, then
place the object (ruby in this case) again as union.

| - The scene takes forever now, after I put the dagger in it. This is
| probably because of the torii cut out of the reflecting metal, which makes
| the ray "bounce" a while in them, isn't it?

Partly right.  Mainly only because of reflection probably.  The torii differencing
isn't
going to be all that slow itself.