POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crown of diamond (50KB) : Re: Crown of diamond (50KB) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 06:24:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crown of diamond (50KB)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 28 May 2000 00:06:55
Message: <39309846.7952272D@hotmail.com>
Sigmund Kyrre Aas wrote:

> Although interesting, I don't think the viewing angle is the best.

I'm willing to agree that picturing a diamond from above not
necessarily is the best way to show off a diamond shape.

But the diamond shape is designed so that as much light
as possible is reflected out of the crown. And of course
people therefore prefer to have the diamond mounted with
the crown "up" in their jewellery.

> Anyone know how much brilliant diamonds can differ?

The diamond cutters often try to cut the diamonds so that
it looses as little weight as possible to in order to get
high carat numbers.

This causes a lot of round brilliant diamonds to wary
quite much from the "ideal cut".

Here's a couple of pages that I found about diamond cuts:

http://www.accurateappraisal.com/idealcut.htm
http://www.anstett.com/diamonds/aboutdia.htm
http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Gold/7365/cut.html
http://www.professionaljeweler.com/archives/articles/1998/jul98/0798dg.html