POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fantasy Map again (92,4 kbbu) : Fantasy Map again (92,4 kbbu) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 06:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Fantasy Map again (92,4 kbbu)
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Date: 27 May 2000 16:38:16
Message: <39303238@news.povray.org>
Well, you may have enough from this scene, but I could not resist to model a
dagger an throw it in it.

There are still some flaws in the scene, and it would be nice if someone
could help me understand how to avoid them in future scenes:

- The candle has this half-circle on the wax, right beyond the upper edge.
First I thought it would be an CSG-Problem or maybe the container of the
flame-media. Now I think its the phong of the hotwax Bob suggested  - but
produces a shadowless light_source a phong? Or does it come from the
area_light "in" the flame? How much stretches such an area_light? One unit?
And if so, how can I control that (scale, using y/2 as vector)?

- The Gem in the dagger is ruby glass from the glass.inc filled with
emitting media. There is a dimmer part at the bottom end. It is probably due
to csg with one of the other elements of the union, or of the blade, which
is also unioned with the handle. Maybe merge would help, but how does Pov
determine, which texture to use "in the deep", when an hollow object is
unioned or merged with a non-hollow object? Do I have to cut a hole in the
union before I can fill that with another hollow or somewhat transparent
object? Or do I miss something obvious?

- The scene takes forever now, after I put the dagger in it. This is
probably because of the torii cut out of the reflecting metal, which makes
the ray "bounce" a while in them, isn't it?

Marc-Hendrik

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'feder.jpg' (93 KB)