POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pre-POV 3.5 Candle lit scene [~48KB Jpg] : Re: Pre-POV 3.5 Candle lit scene [~48KB Jpg] Server Time
2 Oct 2024 06:23:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pre-POV 3.5 Candle lit scene [~48KB Jpg]
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 24 May 2000 03:59:15
Message: <392b8bd3@news.povray.org>
"Sigmund Kyrre Aas" <as### [at] studntnuno> wrote in message
| Very nice. I'm curious about your mirror finish: it seems to dissipate
light
| around the candles.

I was happy the way that turned out, thanks.  I wanted it to do that but
it was still guesswork.  So what I did was to use a non-black pigment
and diffuse >0 plus a specular highlight but I really couldn't say what
caused it most.  There was no need to make any adjustment.

| If I was to criticize; the shadows look a bit bright and the candle
lights
| have somewhat sharp edges.

Criticize all you want.  There is a shadowless light having the color of
the candle light except dimmer, maybe not dim enough.  Keep in mind
there is also Moonlight coming in at a shallow angle from the right side
too, however I couldn't say for certain whether all this light is the
cause for lack of darker shadows rather than ambient in the table and
room.  I suspect it's a combination.
About the sharpness of the candle flames, don't get me started on that.
Do you realize how long I tweaked on just those flames?!  ;-)  Seriously
though, I doubt I could change them much without finding myself with
very different and unwanted flames.  But good to hear your opinion.

Bob