POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Brilliant diamond, ~12kb : Re: Brilliant diamond, ~12kb Server Time
2 Oct 2024 06:27:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brilliant diamond, ~12kb
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 26 May 2000 17:50:48
Message: <392EEFD4.AEE193A9@hotmail.com>

> > Sigmund Kyrre Aas wrote:
> > >

> > > caustics but photons turned out very, very slow. Around 2 pphr! This pic is
> > > a low-quality 30-min render. (250Mhz K6)
> >
> > Cool, glad I could be of some inspiration ... you've found a real gem in
> > the uncud diamond, that's for sure. ;-) Btw is .png OK to post?
>
> Hmm, when I study the image closely I cannot see any caustics. I wonder
> why, anyone able to explain?

As far as I remember the diamond facet angles of a
round brilliant ("ideal cut") diamond are chosen so
that light that enters the diamond through the crown
(the upper facets) are reflected back through the crown.

(Maybe this also makes it difficult for light to enter
the diamond through other facets than those at the top ?)

So if one are looking for light that exits a diamond,
I think that the best viewpoint is above the diamond,
looking down at the crown.

This is a dilemma, because most people recognize the
diamond shape when it's viewed from the side.

Tor Olav
--
mailto:tor### [at] hotmailcom
http://www.crosswinds.net/~tok/tokrays.html