POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Floating exception : Re: Floating exception Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:16:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Floating exception
From: Simon Lemieux
Date: 26 May 2000 00:05:03
Message: <392DF84D.50D18F1@yahoo.com>
> I haven't seen this, but I'm not running the same scenes you are.  At
> what point are you getting the floating point exception.

During program initialization...  It's the only thing Povray outputs to the
screen...

> Did you get your executable from povray.org
> or an IRTC CD? A Linux distribution?

Got it on povray.org...  It was already compiled (I think?), I don't remember...

> As for why
> it's not repeatable, I suspect some random element, of which we offer a
> wide variety.  I assume you're using some sort of randomness (rand(),
> various procedural textures, jittering, whatever) in the scene.

Nope, there is no random...  And it's not a very difficult scene, I got some
image_maps, some bump_maps, boxes, cylinders, few lights, that's all... no
special effects...

> If you could tell me what CPU you're using and what Linux distribution,
> that would help me make sure I'm as close to your setup as possible.

I have a Celeron 433... I had overclocked it to 527 and povray was crashing
really hard...  but only povray, now my CPU is at 501 and it works fine... the
"Floating Exception" also happen at 433 anyway...  Maybe I fried my CPU :(

In the background I have 2 other renders of povray, 2 animations, both have been
rendering for at least 2 weeks and aren't finished until a few more !!  But they
never had the Floating Exception...

Thanks,
	Simon Lemieux