POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Floating exception : Re: Floating exception Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:25:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Floating exception
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 25 May 2000 22:02:59
Message: <392DDC91.813E875E@mailbag.com>
Simon Lemieux wrote:

> I'm using Povray 3.1 on Linux...  Sometimes when I start it, it just say:
> Floating exception (core dumped)
> and then the prompt...  I start it again and for no apparent reason, it works
> perfectly!...  Any ideas on what can cause such behavior?
>
> Thanks,
>         Simon Lemieux

I haven't seen this, but I'm not running the same scenes you are.  At
what point are you getting the floating point exception. During program
initialization? Parsing? Rendering? At the same spot in the parse/render
those times it does happen? Did you get your executable from povray.org
or an IRTC CD? A Linux distribution? Compiled it yourself? As for why
it's not repeatable, I suspect some random element, of which we offer a
wide variety.  I assume you're using some sort of randomness (rand(),
various procedural textures, jittering, whatever) in the scene.  Try
removing some of the randomness and see if you can repeat it.  Also, see
if you can repeat it with a smaller image of the same scene (it helps
speed up the testing).  If you're not in the mood to go through that,
send me your scene, and I'll see what I can do.  Just for comparison, if
you could tell me what CPU you're using and what Linux distribution,
that would help me make sure I'm as close to your setup as possible.
Also, if you run allscene.sh without significant error (it's not quite
perfect; there are a few scenes that will fail without minor tweaking,
but nothing like core dumps), that suggests it's something in the scene.

-Mark Gordon