POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : ANNOUNCE: Stochastic Radiosity Patch for PoV 3.1g : ANNOUNCE: Stochastic Radiosity Patch for PoV 3.1g Server Time
2 Sep 2024 04:18:56 EDT (-0400)
  ANNOUNCE: Stochastic Radiosity Patch for PoV 3.1g
From: Stephane Marty
Date: 25 May 2000 19:17:54
Message: <392DB3DC.BC0@wanadoo.fr>
Hello,

One year ago, I wrote a patch for PoV 3.1g that implements a stochastic
ray-tracing technique using hemisphere sampling (Monte Carlo
integration) to compute global illumination.  This technique is a bit
different than the monte carlo technique already existant in PoV, but it
gives pretty nice, more "radiosity-esque" and interesting results.  In
fact, the effect of inter-diffuse reflection is much more realistic and
distinctly visible.  The hemisphere sampling distribution can be
computed by 8 methods, each of them giving differents rendering results.
The complete illustrated html documentation, the source code, and a
patched WinPoV executable can be downloadable from my web page :
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/albedo/patchedpov.html
Mr Kopp (a.k.a. Nathan), if you think this patch is interesting enough
to become a part of the next MegaPoV release, feel free to include it.
Yes, it sounds like an authorization... ;o)
In a near future, I will probably improve it by adding a few more
options.

Best regards,

Stephane Marty
Computer Graphics Software